The Hittites and their Language

By: Conder, C. R. Lt-Col. R.E.

Price: £30.00

Quantity: 1 available


Blackwood, 1898. 21cm. Pp.x, 312. 28 plates, folding map. Original gilt-stamped maroon cloth, trifle worn and soiled, Denison armorial bookplate to front pastedown, good clean copy.

Hittite is known primarily from the approximately 30,000 cuneiform tablets or fragments of tablets preserved in the archives of the Hittite capital city, Hattusa (near the modern town of Bogazkale, formerly Bogazköy, Turkey), and various provincial centres; the majority of the tablets are from the period of the Hittite empire (c. 1400–c. 1180 BCE). Texts in Old Hittite, a form of the language used between approximately 1650 and 1500 BCE, are mostly preserved in copies made during the empire period; these texts preserve the earliest examples of an Indo-European language that have thus far been found. Claude Reignier Conder (1848-1910), English soldier, explorer and antiquarian carried out survey work in Palestine in the 1870s and 1880s.

Title: The Hittites and their Language

Author: Conder, C. R. Lt-Col. R.E.

Categories: Rare Books
,

Condition: Antiquarian

Inventory number: 979848

Keywords: The Hittites and their Language